Oxford Trip

Yesterday I drove Sandie and myself to the Redbridge Park & Ride outside Oxford, using hand controls for accelerating and braking. I am getting better at using them, although still can only go slowly round sharp junctions and tight roundabouts.

We parked in a disabled slot, then I lowered the wheelchair from the Topper, opened it up and popped in the cushion, a key component. I levered myself out of the car and got into it. Then made my way to the car's back door, where I took out arm rests and foot plates, inserting them where they belong.

A push or so on the rings sent me towards the bus stand, where we found a waiting P&R bus. On seeing me, the driver put out his ramp and helped push me on board, where I found a wheelchair bay into which to go and put on brakes for the trip.

We left the bus in the city centre, with the driver again lowering the bus and putting out the ramp. I exited without help. We made our way a short distance to a lift which took us into the extensive Westgate shopping mall.

Its smooth floors with gentle gradients and with lifts between floors were ideal for putting the new wheelchair through its paces. I was easily able to outpace most walkers on the flat and to leave them well behind on a downward slope. That's several times faster than I can walk with a rollator.

After a coffee we ventured out on to the Oxford streets, leaving Westgate from what proved an unwise exit, with several hundred yards of upward pavement. Sandie helped push me up it. We found a better exit for future use.  After that, I was able to progress unaided down Cornmarket Street, returning via St Michael's Street and New Inn Hall Street.

After lunch at Comptoir Libanais, we caught the bus back to Redbridge, loaded the wheelchair into the Topper and drove home.

The trip demonstrated the feasibility of using the whole package: hand controls, Topper and new lightweight wheelchair to make trips to places and to get around. I have also proven it on a solo shopping trip in Pangbourne, whose pavements are in a worse state than anything I encountered in Oxford. 

I admit to some trepidation before undertaking this trip, fearing unknown obstacles and difficulties in a large city. So credit to Sandie for doing the research that convinced me it was doable. It actually proved pretty easy, so was a boost to confidence.


Comments

  1. Fabulous John, and Sandie! Wish I'd been there to witness / help!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ceiling Hoist

Feeding Tube (PEG)

Floppy Head