Research Study

I visited the Oxford Centre for Human Brain Activity yesterday, for a whole day of being a research subject.  It involved three unusual and interesting machines. I've linked each title to Wikipedia, should you want to find out more.

The first was TMS. This only required me to sit still and be relaxed. Electrodes were attached to head and hands. A coil was held at a precise point on my head and I felt pulses that caused fingers to twitch slightly. Its purpose was to look at nerve conductance between motor cortex and hands.

The second was MEG.  This was more impressive, involving a sealed metal room, with a control desk outside with about half a dozen screens. They attached lots of electrodes to me with long wires, then slotted me into the machine which fitted like a helmet.  I had a simple task to do.

The third was MRI.  Their MRI machine has a magnet twice as powerful as the average NHS machines, so they are extra cautious about safety. After a cheerful grilling, they decided not to let me in, owing to concern about the composition of metals in my extensive dental work. I've asked my dentist to provide the information. If OK, I'll go back later in the month.

I gave blood as usual, but was let off a lumbar puncture as I'd recently undergone one.

All four of my UK-based siblings have volunteered to take part in this research study into the C9orf72 gene mutation, to varying degrees, so will be visiting the OHBA over the coming weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ceiling Hoist

Feeding Tube (PEG)

Floppy Head