BiPap & Cough Assist

We visited Respiratory Medicine in the Royal Berkshire Hospital on Monday 10th February, ostensibly to see a physiotherapist. I imagined it would be a session on things such as how to cough better.

in fact, it turned out to be a session where they loaned me the two key breathing machines and let me try them out.

A BiPap is a machine that connects to you via a face mask. It senses when you breathe in and pumps more air into your lungs than you could manage on your own. It lets you breathe out by yourself. It takes a bit of time to get in control of the machine, rather than it being in control of you. The benefit to someone like me, with impaired breathing, is that it gets more oxygen into your blood and removes more CO2.  Here's a photo of me trying it out:


 A Cough Assist machine also connects to you via a face mask. It fills up your lungs with air, then drags it out hard and fast, simulating a cough. Hopefully it thereby drags any phlegm into your mouth. I'm still getting used to it.

These two machines improve quality of life, rather than extending it. They will become increasingly important as MND progresses.

Comments

  1. What an interesting machine. I do so hope it helps you. Love and hugs, Merrynx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ceiling Hoist

Feeding Tube (PEG)

Floppy Head